Job Title: Yard Mule Driver (Cargo)
Office Name: Port Miami
Address: 1630 Port Boulevard
Postal Code: 33132
This position operates heavy equipment for all terminal operations (staging equipment, discharging for ships, rail operations, etc.). To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for this position will not be considered.
- Must have two (2) years of experience driving one or more of the following heavy equipment: mule jockey, Empty Handler, or Top loader or a CDL-A license with one (1) year of experience operating heavy equipment.
- A valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Must be able to efficiently maneuver the selected heavy equipment during the practice exam.
- Must be able to successfully complete on the job training to drive other heavy equipment such as 30K/52K Forklift, Top loader/Empty Handler.
- Must be able to handle safely and efficiently heavy containerized, palletized, or loose cargoes in a high volume, fast paced environment
- Must have or be able to obtain a TWIC card within 30 days of employment.
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information.
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, holidays, as needed
- Ability to work with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Organizational and time management skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively, establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors and fellow employees.
- Ability to think logically and follow procedures and instructions.
- Hazmat Training and additional endorsements are preferred.
- Certification to operate Heavy Equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates heavy machinery such as Mule, 52 Forklift and/or Top Loader to organize cargo in staging area for vessel loading.
- Determines the method to properly secure oversized cargo and heavy equipment, when necessary, for shipping.
- Prepares oversized cargo and heavy equipment using straps and chains.
- Operates forklifts and top loaders to prepare, place, and secure oversized cargo and heavy equipment for shipping.
- Works within a crew, assisting and working in teams at all times.
- Check equipment to ensure it is properly maintained and is safe to operate (check oil, water, spreader bars, etc.)
- Maintains awareness of all surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times.
- Moves all types of cargo for the ships (trucks, combo trucks, excavators, etc.)
- Services the yard to maintain everything organized.
- Discharges vessels with inbound cargo.
- Prepares commodities for export and set-up in proper location.
- Must maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Subjection to physical and/or DOT Screening may be required along with other tests as applicable.
- The employee is continuously required to stand, walk, reach forward, and grasp.
- The employee is frequently required to climb, bend forward, reach overhead, repetitive foot motion, and eye-hand-foot coordination.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, squat, kneel, crawl, twist, use repetitive wrist motion, finger dexterity, pinch, and eye-hand coordination.
- The employee is frequently required to lift, carry, push and pull up to 30 pounds.
- The employee must occasionally lift, carry, push and pull up to 75 pounds.
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules.
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Cargo Securement Header and Yard Foreman. Does not exercise supervision over any position.
- Work is performed primarily in outdoors; exposed to changing weather (temperature & humidity) and outdoor environments, during day and night shifts.
- The employee continuously works near moving trucks/equipment.
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- May be required to work on holidays and weekends as necessary.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.