Job Title: Senior Staff Accountant
Office Name: Main - Corporate
Address: 8001 NW 79th Ave
Postal Code: 33166
The position will primarily be responsible for the preparation of voyage-related estimates as well as the calculation/recording of revenue/expense adjustments for voyages in progress during the month end closing process. The position will also be responsible for international financial statement review. Additionally, the position will entail performing analysis around key revenue and expense accounts for management reporting purposes. This individual will be a key contributor to the growth of the Voyage Accounting & Analysis team by providing a strong professional presence and superior accounting and reporting expertise. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting.
- Three (3) years of accounting/auditing experience with a large global CPA firm, or corporate accounting experience with a large, publicly traded Company or a combination of the two.
- Experience with larger companies (greater than $250 million in revenue).
- Intermediate computer skills in programs such as MS Word, Excel & Outlook is required. Required Excel skills include being able to perform pivot and lookup tables, utilize financial functions, and create linked workbooks that are organized to facilitate easy completion and review while maintaining necessary controls over spreadsheets.
- Fluency in English at an Advanced level both verbal and written.
- Fluency in Spanish at an Advanced level both verbal and written.
- Creative and solutions-oriented thinker with exceptional analytical skills.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a collaborative communications style and ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to communicate (read and write) effectively in a business environment.
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and/or holidays as needed.
- Ability to gather, organize and analyze information to support rapid decision making.
- Some overseas travel (not to exceed four weeks a year), may be required.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration from an accredited US Accounting Program.
- At least two (2) years auditing experience at a large global CPA firm including at least two (2) busy seasons (January through March).
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant or similar certification.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monthly preparation and recording of voyage related accrual entries and voyage in progress entries.
- Perform variance analysis around revenue and cost of sales accounts in the consolidated financial statements in conjunction with the month end close and the quarterly Management Discussion and Analysis prepared for the Corporate office.
- Prepare look back analyses for voyage results to analyze how actual expenses compared to initial estimates to ensure accrual processes are reasonable.
- Prepare detailed trend analysis around key revenue and cost drivers and present for discussion with the Assistant Controller and Accounting Managers.
- Prepare reconciliations of accruals transferred from subsidiary countries in the Caribbean and Latin America to the domestic company and liaison with assigned countries to ensure completeness and accuracy of such accruals.
- Review international financial statements.
- Responsible for traveling to foreign subsidiaries and performing field internal control and operational reviews.
- Assist with the development of the internal management reporting function, including providing ad hoc analyses to executive management.
- Assist with special projects.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use his/her fingers.
- The employee frequently is required to talk and/or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage.
- Wear protective PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as instructed or necessary.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules.
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- Receives direct supervision from the Accounting Manager and indirect supervision from the Director of Accounting. Does not exercise supervision over any U.S. based position.
- Indoor office. Exposed to controlled temperature and office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.