Job Title: Laborer II
Department: Administrative Support
Office Name: Port Miami
Address: 1630 Port Boulevard
Postal Code: 33132
This position provides physical labor toward the production of daily yard operations, to include cleaning and inspecting containers, assisting with the agricultural inspections, transfers and transloads, transporting and securing export vehicles, general maintenance work and transporting employees and vendors throughout Seaboard’s PortMiami terminal and surrounding areas. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applications out of the geographic region for this position will not be considered.
- Ability to use common hand and power tools such as screwdrivers, drills, wrenches, and hammers.
- A valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Basic English communication skills (verbal/written).
- Ability to use a hand-held device.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to obtain internal forklift certification within 90 days of employment.
- Ability to accurately process alpha/numeric information.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative.
- Ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors and fellow employees.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, extended hours, weekends, and/or holidays, as needed.
- Must have or be able to obtain a TWIC card within 30 days of employment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In the YARD Department:
- Sweep, wash and clean empty containers.
- Inspects empty containers for damage.
- Tags all containers for either their readiness, need for repair, or washing.
- Drives a company truck to the work site.
- Operates a forklift to empty yard garbage bins.
- Utilizes a handheld computer to enter or scan container numbers and update container location.
- Transfers cargo from one container to another as needed.
- Rearrange cargo inside a produce load in order to have the load fumigated.
- Assists with the agriculture inspections by opening/closing container doors.
- Must maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards.
In the EQUIPMENT RECEIVING Department:
- Identifies and marks vehicles for export by port of destination.
- Loads/drives the vehicle into the container/car racks and sets up ramps and straps, which are used to secure the vehicles once in the container/car racks.
- Secures export vehicles on car rack and/or specialized containers with straps.
- Maintains awareness of surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times.
- Operates a forklift to maneuver inoperable vehicles to the staging area and/or containers.
In the MAINTENANCE Department:
- Assists with maintenance of the property; including overall inspection, repair, and general maintenance of terminal buildings, structures and exterior areas.
- Assists with the installation and performance of maintenance projects under the direction of the Multi-Craft Technician: plumbing, carpentry, painting, and/or associated work on building and/or terminal facilities using basic hand and power tools.
- Assists in cleaning the CCTV cameras in the terminal as needed.
- Moves office furniture within departments as needed.
- Drive company vehicles/vans within Seaboard’s PortMiami Terminal and surrounding areas.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Subjection to physical and/or DOT Screening may be required along with other tests as applicable.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
- The employee must frequently lift, carry, push and pull up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift, carry up to 75 pounds, push and pull up to 50 pounds.
- The employee is frequently required to bend forward, craw or twist, pinch, reach overhead, exercise eye-hand coordination, use repetitive wrist and foot motion, finger dexterity exercise and frequently eye-hand coordination.
- The employee is continuously required to stand, walk, reach forward, grasp, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, squat, balance, stoop, kneel crouch, crawl and smell.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules.
- Refuse any unsafe tasks or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Awareness of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Reports directly to the Human Resources Manager. May receive direction from the Multicraft Maintenance Technician and the Supervisor/Foreman/Header of the assigned department. Does not exercise supervision over any position.
- Work is performed primarily outdoors; exposed to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, rain, wind and high humidity, and changing weather during day and night shifts.
- Indoor exposure to controlled temperatures.
- The employee continuously works near moving vehicles (cars, trucks, etc.).
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- Drive automated and stick vehicles, low to moderate vibration.
- Moderate vibration with use of hydraulic seating system.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.