Job Title: Yard Mule Driver
Department: Yard - A-Team
Office Name: Port Miami
Address: 1630 Port Boulevard
Postal Code: 33132
This position operates heavy equipment for all terminal operations (staging equipment, discharging for ships, rail operations, etc.). To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Must have two (2) years of experience driving one or more of the following heavy equipment: mule jockey, 52k Forklift, Empty Handler, or Top loader or a CDL-A license with one (1) year of experience operating heavy equipment.
- A valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Must have successfully completed on the job training and received certification to operate the large 30k/52k forklift, mule/yard jockey, and top loader/empty handler.
- Must be able to safely and efficiently handle heavy containerized, palletized, or loose cargoes in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Ability to communicate (read, write, and speak) in Basic English.
- Must have or be able to obtain a TWIC card within 30 days of employment.
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information.
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, holidays, as needed.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and strong initiative.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively, establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors and fellow employees.
- Ability to think logically and follow procedures and instructions.
- Hazmat Training and additional endorsements are preferred.
- Subjection to physical and/or DOT Screening may be required along with other tests as applicable.
- The employee is continuously required to sit (while driving), grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination and eye-hand-foot coordination.
- The employee is frequently required to reach forward, exercise repetitive foot and wrist motion and finger dexterity.
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, bend forward, squat, twist, pinch, and reach overhead.
- The employee must occasionally lift, carry, push and pull up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates heavy machinery such as Mule, 52 Forklift, Top Loader and Empty Handler to organize and transport cargo to staging area for vessel and rail operations.
- Uses the handheld device to receive and update information regarding container government moves.
- Moves and stages containers that are needed for Agriculture Inspection as requested by Dispatch.
- Identifies and transports containers to fulfill X-Ray requirements.
- Services the yard to maintain organization and accessibility.
- Communicates any delays or issues with appropriate company personnel via telephone and/or e-mail.
- Work cooperatively with other departments to assist in planning for optimum productivity.
- Check equipment to ensure it is properly maintained and is safe to operate (check oil, water, spreader bars, etc.)
- Maintains awareness of all surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times.
- Moves all types of cargo for the ships (trucks, combo trucks, excavators, etc.)
- Discharges vessels with inbound cargo.
- Prepares commodities for export and set-up in proper location.
- Must maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules.
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Header and Yard Foreman. Does not exercise supervision over any position.
- Work is performed primarily in outdoors; exposed to changing weather (temperature & humidity) and outdoor environments, during day and night shifts.
- The employee continuously works near moving trucks/equipment.
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- May be required to work on holidays and weekends as necessary.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.