Job Title: Warehouse Assistant
Office Name: Main - Corporate
Address: 8001 NW 79th Ave
Postal Code: 33166
Assists with warehouse operation by loading or receiving cargo into their respective staging areas or containers. Operates forklift to move cargo, or manually as needed. Inspect and report cargo for any inconsistency or damage. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applicants out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Previous experience working in a warehouse.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a forklift per OSHA standards. Authorization to operate heavy equipment will be provided by the company.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information.
- Possess organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, extended hours, holidays, and/or weekends as needed.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors and fellow employees.
- Ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates forklift to move cargo from warehouse staging area and fill containers continuously.
- Checks identification of cargo to be moved, cross-references with sailing schedule and moves to required location.
- Reports inconsistencies and/or problems to supervisor.
- Conveys materials and items from receiving areas to storage or to other designated areas.
- Obtains work assignments from supervisor and determines if additional tools are needed.
- Review all shipments upon arrival and informs supervisor immediately of any damages and/or spoiled cargo.
- Ensure that cargo is placed in the corresponding area for the port destination or loaded in appropriate containers for shipment.
- Uses snips to open boxes, removes strapping and wrapping and disposes safely in designated area.
- Use appropriate tools to place protective materials around load and to secure load for final shipment.
- Handles and piles drums or other supplies being delivered to the port or other departments.
- Enter all information needed into the hand held computer.
- Compiles bill of ladings and/or dock receipts from customer specifications and necessary paperwork as needed for shipments.
- Maintain awareness of all surroundings (i.e. trucks, people etc.) at all times in order to avoid collisions.
- Must maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards.
- Changes propane tanks, oil and water, etc. Reports electrical and/or mechanical difficulties to warehouse mechanic.
- Checks and arranges for regular maintenance of forklift.
- Removes empty skids or pallets and stacks in designated area for future usage.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Subjection to physical and/or DOT Screening may be required along with other tests as applicable.
- The employee is continuously required to sit, grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination and eye-hand-foot coordination.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, twist, reach forward, exercise repetitive foot and wrist motion, and finger dexterity.
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, bend forward, squat, reach overhead and pinch.
- The employee must frequently carry up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and carry up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules.
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Reports directly to the Warehouse Supervisor and/or Warehouse Manager. Does not exercise supervision over any position
- Exposure to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, rain, wind and high humidity during day and night shifts. Roofed area with open doors.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
- Moderate vibration throughout body when operating forklift.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.