Job Title: Warehouse Assistant (Temporary)
Office Name: Main - Corporate
Address: 8001 NW 79th Ave
Postal Code: 33166
Operate forklift to move cargo to and from the containers within the warehouse. Containers may be filled or emptied manually as needed. The cargo is inspected and any inconsistency or damage is reported to the supervisor. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applicants out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Some previous experience working in a warehouse.
- Some previous experience operating a forklift.
- Authorization to operate heavy equipment will be provided by our company.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information.
- Possess organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to operate equipment at company standards.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, extended hours, holidays, and/or weekends as needed.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors and fellow employees.
- Ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates forklift to move cargo from warehouse staging area and fill containers continuously.
- Checks identification of cargo to be moved, cross-references with sailing schedule and moves to required location.
- Reports inconsistencies and/or problems to supervisor.
- Conveys materials and items from receiving areas to storage or to other designated areas.
- Obtains work assignments from supervisor and determines if additional tools are needed.
- Review all shipments upon arrival and informs supervisor immediately of any damages and/or spoiled cargo.
- Ensure that cargo is placed in the corresponding area for the port destination.
- Ensure that cargo is loaded in appropriate container for shipment.
- Uses snips to open boxes, removes strapping and wrapping and disposes safely in designated containers or areas.
- Place protective materials around load and uses appropriate tools to secure load for final shipment to customer.
- Handles and piles drums or other supplies being delivered to the port or other departments.
- Enter all information needed into the hand held computer.
- Compiles bill of ladings and/or dock receipts from customer specifications and necessary paperwork as needed for shipments.
- Maintain awareness of all surroundings (i.e. trucks, people etc.) at all times in order to avoid collisions.
- Must maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards.
- Changes propane tanks, oil and water, etc. Reports electrical and/or mechanical difficulties to warehouse mechanic.
- Checks and arranges for regular maintenance of forklift.
- Removes empty skids or pallets and stacks in designated area for future usage.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Subjection to physical and/or DOT Screening may be required along with other tests as applicable.
- The employee is continuously required to sit, grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination and eye-hand-foot coordination.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, twist, reach forward, exercise repetitive foot and wrist motion and finger dexterity.
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, bend forward, squat, reach overhead and pinch.
- The employee must frequently carry up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and carry up to 75 pounds and occasionally push and pull up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules.
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Reports directly to the Warehouse Supervisor and/or Warehouse Manager. Does not exercise supervision over any position
- Exposure to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, rain, wind and high humidity during day and night shifts. Roofed area with open doors.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
- Moderate vibration throughout body when operating forklift.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change